PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible to stall an Airbus fly-by -wire aircraft in Normal Law ?
Old 28th Sep 2011, 18:44
Lonewolf_50

Received 418 Likes on 261 Posts
safetypee, what I was working through was trying to determine how the robot prioritizes conflicting demands in Normal Law. Let's not pretend that the pilots will just sit there and watch it all happen as the plane falls ... my question regards what inputs the pilot can make that won't be countered by the robot while still in Normal Law, with protections active. (Wasn't Sully in Normal Law the way to the water in his A320?)

The Alpha Protect seems to have a priority above most every thing else, in pitch, to include side stick inputs. (Ground avoidance maneuver/emergency pull up a case in point here).

From a design philosophy, this makes basic sense, per Davies little sound byte along the lines of "if you have a choice between stall and something else, do something else."

Which takes me back to the geese in the intakes on approach:

The robot will try to keep you from stalling.

If the pilot selects a speed X knots faster than stall during that short descent, (similar to what Sully did), he can fly his way to the ground, knowing he has some cushion for the end game.

Need to review what I have about the landing laws, I think there are some pieces in there that will fill in my blanks.

thanks for your kind reply.

KBPsen: that's what I thought, AoA holds the ace of trump. Thanks.