PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging time as instructor?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2011, 11:33
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
I'm sure that the privilege to log time as an instructor begins with being qualified as an instructor. If you are an instructor, then you know your privileges.
I can't honestly say that this issue was covered in my recent (and very well run) instructors course - so I think it's a fair question.

If you are not an instructor, then you cannot act or log time as one.
You can't log it. Nothing to stop you talking about how to fly the aeroplane - for example - which is arguably acting as an instructor.

If the other person has lost their medical, they cannot be a "qualified" pilot, so if you are qualified on that type of aircraft, you log as PIC, because they are not, and cannot log the time.
Surely somebody who is not a qualified pilot can log time as student?

Make sure that you are actually prepared and skilled to fly and land from the seat you're in if you have to, however unfortunate, that person lost their medical for a reason.
Which certainly comes back to being an instructor.

You may find that when you dig deeper into the regs, you're not entitled to allow the other person to fly the aircraft at all, unless you are an instructor, because then you are giving instruction, which you are to entitled to do.
Certainly here in Britain, this is not true. You are not unless an instructor entitled to give loggable instruction, but you are entitled - whilst retaining all of the responsibilities of Captain - to let a passenger handle the controls. Sooner or later you probably must, even if it's just the intercom volume control or an air vent.

I was accused of this, in exactly this situation by the authority some time ago. They gave me a warning, but otherwise did nothing.
Probably because they hadn't a leg to stand on unless you were taking money or telling somebody to log it.

If you are flying as PIC, then you are. Be sure you are insured and entitled to fly that aircraft, because the other person is not. If you're not insured, and they are not entitled to fly, the aircraft is flying uninsured, and you're flying it.
And flying uninsured is definitely illegal in Britain.

Though not likely an issue, be sure the aircraft type permits the PIC to fly from the "other" seat. A few actually specify the PIC must be it a particular seat.
Agreed.

G