PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Schools in Botswana
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2011, 10:46
lilflyboy262

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the flying school is the only place. There will be another one starting up soon.
None of the instructing is on 200 series aircraft. It is all on 172's.

A conversion to a botswana licence is not too hard. An air law exam, a type technical, 5 hours training and then a flight test.
Then you can take the plane out for yourself.

A good grasp of the english language is essential, as well as knowing how to use VOR radials for seperation from inbound IFR aircraft. (Yes, even though you are VFR)
Training here can be interesting. During summer months we have huge thunderstorms that pass through often. In the winter, there are usually big bush fires burning and smoke and haze get trapped below inversion layers.
Its not uncommon to have up to 8 aircraft inbound at the same time. Specially around 1pm.
Combine that with outbound traffic, very poor visibility, a difficult african accent from ATC and hour building can be pretty intense.
In terms of aircraft movements, during the busy season, Maun is one of, if not the busiest airport in Africa.

If your plan is to do cross countries into the delta, then I suggest taking someone with you until you have a firm grip on where everything is. There are very few reference points as the land is completely flat for about 150nm in each direction. So flat that you can see the curvature of the earth.
There are something like 28 camps all within 30 minutes flying from Maun.
You can quite easily get in the way of the other aircraft flying between camps or annoy camps by buzzing low level above them.
You wouldn't be the first to have an angry hunter fire a few rounds at you.

To be honest. I wouldn't really bother building hours. If you are going to get hired, you will be hired. Chances are, there will be people turning up with 400hrs+ anyway.
The companies will take care of your licence once they hire you.