PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unbelievable Vietnam Airlines crew paycut due to EGPWS in visual approach!!
Old 28th Sep 2011, 10:30
BacktotheMoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know the exact circumstances of the event...If the data are correct (2642ft RA over a 1050ft hill at 9 miles?), they might have been slightly high though. (3692 ft...where my reference would be around 3000ft)

However, it doesn't really matter. I think there is no reason to cut the pay of any crew for events like this. It is also in contradiction with the company's FOM...which says that: "no disciplinary action shall be applied to any employee who openly disclose an incident or safety occurrence...."

There do is this Government Decree on Sactioning Administrative Violations in Civil Aviation...

Article 9. Violation of regulations on aviation personnel, training institutions, training aviation personnel

1. A fine of 500,000 to 1,000,000 for each of the following acts:

e) Members of the flight crew, air traffic controllers, aircraft maintenance personnel performing the task incorrectly prescribed procedure affecting the civil aviation activities that may threaten the aviation security and aviation safety.

4. A fine of between 5,000,000 and 10,000,000 for each of the following acts:

c) Flight crew members control aircraft violating the rules, flight procedures;

So this Decree might be the explanation for the paycut? One might think fligh safety could be improved with good or additional training. But apparently punishing people with paycuts seems the easy, albeit a less constructive way...Sad times for safety indeed.