PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2011, 10:14
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting that this is very similar to the arguments that led to removal of spinning from the PPL syllabus
Genghis

While I have some symphathy with your argument (and in jest it was probably partly meant) I think there is an important distinction.

While I personally think spin training is a good idea I am not sure how many people's lives it actually saved. The reality is the only time inexperienced pilots manage to spin the aircraft is close to the ground in the circuit at which point the spin training will probably be of little help. In fact it seems to me most pilots are so scared of the stall they back off well before.

On the other hand the biggest killer remains flying into IMC or some variation thereof - CFIT which more often than not arises from flying into IMC.

So if the evidence was piltos were killing themselves in self induced spin accidents it should be taught: whereas the evidence is people are killing themselves in IMC so I suspect it is really important that is taught as well as possible at the PPL stage without of course turning a PPL into a mini IR.