PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3,000 jobs to go at Waste O'Space
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2011, 22:26
QTRZulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jin

I'm one of those being made redundant as a result of one of BAEs flagship failures, however, having spent just under 4 years at Warton wearing the light blue, I fully echo your comments. The guys and girls I had the pleasure of working with on a daily basis were some of the hardest working, most dedicated people you could ever hope to meet. They were well aware of the customers wants and needs and would try their hardest to accommodate that within the at times ridiculous constraints that were forced upon them. The real shame was that their management just didn't get it and it seemed to me didn't really want to get it, deferring difficult decisions and just sweeping others under the rug!

Sadly it is the hardest working who will likely see the door as those in the more senior positions ensure that 'I'm all right jack' by shifting blame for failure down stream. As they say, sh#t rolls downhill - its not nice and in many cases not deserved.

That's not to say the the blame only lays at one door, the MoD are just not geared up for the cut and thrust of modern business where multi-billion pound contracts are at stake. The constant changing of personnel on PTs just so the high fliers can get their procurement ticks is a joke and does nothing for continuity. I lost count of the number of Sqn Ldrs and above who came and went during my time. As a result there was no way a solid working relationship higher up the food chain ever exist - you just didn't know who you would be working with from one month to the next!

There has to be change from all those involved in defence procurement because at the moment its well and truly fuc@@d but I just don't see when and where the necessary change is going to come from.

I fear for those left in the services and those who manage to hold on within BAEs as the future is not exactly rosy on either side.

For those who do stay I wish you the very best of luck and hope that you turn the corner very soon.