PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC3 TALES
Thread: DC3 TALES
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2011, 21:07
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Hoskins 1967. I was a green F/O but had been taught the art of the three pointer well during my endorsement and on the line with a very accomplished ex Fleet Air Arm skipper.
Flying for the first time with a particular Captain - we will call him Jim. Anyway his leg, he wheels it; my leg I three point it, and the inevitable debate about which is best for short slippery strips ensues.
His leg into Hoskins and I rib him gently, suggesting it was real slippery yesterday, so why not three point it "Garn Jim, you can do it" and all that. CRM had not been invented back then ! So he decides to prove a point and wheels it on down slope towards the beach and gets on the anchors. I look out my side window and note that the main wheel has locked up, so call out something to the effect of "we are skidding". At least it was straight, so his side must have been locked up as well. When it becomes obvious we are soon to go off the end and into the water if we don't do something, he gives it a boot of rudder and a burst of power and around we go through nearly 180 degrees. It slides off the end but only just. After we get out and get the punters off, a couple of Landrovers and some ropes around the main gear haul it out of the dirt and we are back in business.
Needless to say, I got the rest of the flying that day and no more comments about three pointers.
And he bought me beer for a very long time after to buy my silence.

Re the skeleton on a string trick - later when I got my command I had a teddy bear set up with a fishing reel and used it to good effect on North Sea operations when the boys off the oil rigs had too much to drink on the way home. As soon as one of them sighted Teddy, the hostie (who was in on it) said she could see nothing, so no more drinks for you my boyo.