PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Before I even begin...
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2011, 17:17
Grob Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Arut,

Welcome to the wonderful world of aviation...once you start, it becomes your life, your passion and you can't get enough! Enthusiasm, willingness to learn an entirely new skill and determination is a great help to start with. Once you have decided to go for it, you need to spend a lot of time studying as well as being airborne - don't worry though, its enjoyable...!!

I am 34 hours into my PPL training and have not yet done any exams, however, I am studying for Air law and Nav. I use the Jeremy Pratt Books which are good, clear and understandable. What I suggest is that you don't read tehm until you start (they are a bit sterile until you begin to know what you're doing.) Although i would suggest maybe looking into the first lesson of effects of controls as you will then know more of what yur instructor is explaining to you and it won't all be a case of "Wow, what was that?!" when you land. Landing after your fiurst lesson is exhillaration adn amazement at just what you need to know, but don't worry, it will soon become second nature and your instructor will jump out and say "Off you go, one solo circuit" and that is just SUCH a FAB feeling!!! Especially when your friends at the club all come up to congratulate you!

I study by myself from the books and an RAF training manual which is fine, because I jsut ask pilot friends if i need further explanation.

Another tip. Find yourself a flying mentor or two. I have two very good freinds who are both ex-RAF pilots and now civvy pilots who are invaluable help and moral support as they know what I am going through and one talked me out of giving up after I had an incident on landing. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss issues which you don't want public. As I'm going through the same I know what it feels like! And I know that sometimes you wnat to chat t spmeone who isn't your instructor or club friends.

As to club, well, can't help you much there i'm afraid as I belong to an RAF Flying club on my station and that was the obvious choice of place to learn, so I looked no further. AS to busy cct or not...well, sometimes it is , sometimes not. The R/T freaked me out a bit at first, but now I am getting used to it and I like it when its busy because its excellent r/t practice and the Tower are used to students so are fine with me (although if its a tricky situation, my instructor will take teh r/t away from me so I can concentrate on flying "aviate Navigate Communicate"!) But I also like the cct quiet - especially whilst I am flying solo. More time to think without looking out so much (although as PIC YOU always should!)

As to Trial lesson...well, again, I did that flight with the RAF so I Knew that I wanted to fly before I started if you see what help I mean; so again, i'm afraid I can't help with civvy clubs. But DO find an instructor who you get on with...you'll be reliant on them and their judgement and be spending a lot of time in teh cockpit with them! Also ensure you ahev continuity. you need to fly at LEAST once a week otherwise you will get serious skills fade. We were all grounded over last winter, and that was extremely unhelpful.. Then this spring I didn't fly for a number of weeks and again I get skills fade. I would fly every day if I could but try and get at least an hour in a week and also, as soon as you can after you ahve flown, go over your textbooks to read upn on what you ahve just ben learning- I always do and it does help to lock the info in your head. And before a lesson read up on what you will be doing...it helps in teh pre-flight briefing!!

Well, i've waffled on and this is rather an essay, but i hope it helps! Forgive the typos, i'm getting used to this laptop!

Good luck, enjoy yourself...You Have Control!

GQ