PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who here is a foreigner working as a pilot in the USA?
Old 27th Sep 2011, 15:50
FlyPurdue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am an American - working as a regional FO in the States, flying the EMB-145 (at a 'respected' 'Regional' carrier). I can tell you - as soon as my hours are appropriate, I am out of the States.

Baggage Handlers, Ticket Agents, Fuelers, Sky Caps, all make more money than me... I really do enjoy going to work in the morning - but the compensation is insulting. The problem is how unprofitable US carriers are. You will hear union pilots say its management, management says its the union pilots, but its ticket prices. They are too low, and with the onboard service as poor as it is, it is a race to the bottom, the traveling public has no brand loyalty, and will gladly choose Airline X over Airline Y - even with 3 or 4 connections to save 5 dollars on a return ticket.

I often read horror stories on PPRuNe, about Qatar, Emirates, Cathay, Etihad, etc, but have talked to pilots at theses carriers, and they say its not bad, and a world better than the flying in the States (with the exception of FedEx, Southwest, and a few others) I am even considering moving to China to be a contract pilot just to get a livable wage.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

p.s. one of my buddys at my carrier is from South Africa, he did all his training over there, and was able to get a job here, when his parents moved here. So it is possible!