PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSU and Retrac Endorsements
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2011, 07:45
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"PUFF".............NEVER 4get this when on final ( I still use it after 30+ yrs driving planes inc my latest Frog machine)............the rest you can bluff yr way thru inc keeping the 'prop on top'...I like that one

Here's a good little trick to practice when yr out there flying a plane with retracts.Set yourself up for final App flap configured prop pitch etc set as if you where going to land but leave the gear up. Obviously DON'T land just make the App as if you where going to land accept with gear still tucked away. Take note of the pwr settings req'd to maintain a certain App speed & ROD with that gear not down. Now make missed App & do the same with the gear down fully configured for landing noting the power req'd. You will be surprised after a while if you find one day that you need to have the power way back further than normal then it's a fair bet you have 4gotten the Dunlops At least with a Cessna it takes micro seconds to see of the wheels are out there in the breeze, well at least one leg!
This trick was shown to me many moons ago when I was doing a PA31 endo, the diff was amazing!

Wmk2