PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2011, 10:44
BobBHX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desired new route

I'm afraid this post falls within the wishful thinking / fantasy category but let me make a suggestion for a new route ex BHX.

I have just returned from a trip to Bangkok, a route I fly 4 or 5 times a year in business or first class. Usually I will fly LH, LX or EK. When I booked this trip in May, all the usual carriers were in excess of £2,000. EK was at £2,400 and seems to be pricing itself out of the market.

I found a fare on Oman Air (WY) from Frankfurt for £1,600 which I booked. Even with the add-on flight to FRA I still saved several hundred pounds.

Now, the WY schedule to FRA has their aircraft sitting on the ground for between 9 and 15 hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays. How about an add-on leg to BHX on those days?

WY may or may not get 5th freedom rights on the route (SQ did between MUC and MAN). Even if they don't, I would have thought that with a sensible pricing strategy, WY could profit from utilising the aircraft downtime for an add-on leg to BHX.

Admittedly, WY do not have as extensive a route network as EK but they do fly to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Colombo, Male and 13 destinations in India and Pakistan.

Muscat Airport was very pleasant to use, in sharp contrast to the zoo that is DXB.