PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing on rooftop
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2011, 08:18
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oleary - yes, I accept your point !

FH1100 - ditto. Re-reading my original post:

. . . not caused by severe icing or fuel starvation, neither of which would likely happen with this sort of operation, I'd suggest.",
I should possibly have added that, whilst icing would obviously not have been a cause, lack of fuel "should" not have been a cause either. If it does turn out to be the reason, what on earth will be the excuse for operating so close to fuel limits, especially if this were being run professionally, which was also an assumption, I'm afraid!

Your other point, however,
With no fuel it doesn't matter how many engines you have
is not quite true - the EC135, for instance, has different sized fuel supply tanks for just this purpose, i.e. if you are that inattentive/desparate/foolish to ever get that fuel critical, No 2 engine will always flame out first, rapidly focussing your attention on the dwindling fuel reserve in No 1 supply tank, but at least allowing you to get down (quickly) on the remaining engine! Clever design, but ECD have regularly shown that they try to account for all eventualities, including those less professional than they might wish to be/think they are (for instance the ones who try to get airborne with the cyclic lock attached - personally, I don't know how you even get into the seat without noticing that)!