PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - [N]PPL(M) --> NPPL(SSEA) Training gap analysis
Old 26th Sep 2011, 07:20
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmum
Genghis
How far off base was I with my thoughts of how i'd get this doneI didn't get started until this month and have done over half a dozen flights now, had to abandon my initial idea after about 10 minutes.
I've had to go right back to basics and do the elementary exercises pretty much in full. Lots of work needed on selecting/holding attitudes and trimming as you suggested there might be.
Control reversal hasn't been a problem, except when he's looking inside and likes to try and roll the horizon to the aircraft, we've ended up in some quite interesting attitudes. He's really enamoured with all the instruments & radios and would stare at/fiddle with them all flight if I'd let him. Don't think I'll ever dare show him a moving map GPS
It's starting to come together a bit better now and we're getting into circuits, however I don't actually think we're going to save much time compared to the actual 32 hour course minimum, there's still the benefit of theory exam credit though.
I do feel that most of this is down to the individual concerned, rather than the cross-crediting being unrealistic. I'm also just finishing off a couple of BGA pilots converting to NPPL (SSEA) and they've both done it within a hour of the minimum requirements.
I'm sure it's about individuals.

I also just started mine also, and he's learning rather faster than I expected; there's a hope I *might* get him done in 8 hours.

I did go through the list above with a much more experienced FI and it got a substantial redesign, then after we'd started, picked up that I'd not included unusual attitudes, so that needs adding in also. His biggest weakness as a glider and microlight pilot has been RT, despite holding an RTFL - he's just never used it in a more complex environment.

That said, onto nav will be interesting - double the speeds he's used to, and in straight lines, may be a shock to the system. He's told me that he believes that'll be his weakest point - we shall see. I am treating that as "learn from scratch".

G