PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson 737 lands on taxiway at Paphos?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2011, 19:59
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been in a similar situation myself many years ago I can sympathize with the crew.

It is all too easy to make a mistake and everyone should remember you're never too old or too experienced to have an incident/accident.

I will never forget the stewardess who came to the flight deck after the flight to report all was ok.

We almost killed them all - and a couple more aircraft flying that same approach had a similar fate.

No casualties, no damage - but the sight of high ground and cliffs ahead when you should have been higher is sobering to say the least.

The company and the AAIB were accommodating but I will still remember the sight of the cliffs ahead and wonder how the we managed to get in that situation?

The approach was changed and an ILS installed, but for the grace of God I'm still alive.

Fate is the hunter indeed and I personally feel for the crew.

These incidents, with hindsight and from the comfort of an armchair, seem incredible.

The old adage: thinking time 3 seconds, investigation 3 years comes to mind!

Whether it will be 'lessons learnt' or 'apportion the blame' remains to be seen.

I was 'lucky', 'fortunate', 'grateful', but I lived to fly for many years and NEVER made the same mistake again (or any other significant for that matter).

A friend said: He would fly with me knowing that I had erred and learned about flying from that.

I hope the crew in question obtain a similar fair hearing.