PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The New BA Advert: To Fly. To Serve
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2011, 17:21
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a classic example of an ad that wins huge praise and awards from other advertisers, and even from people who like interesting film/video, but doesn't actually sell, in this case, one additional airline seat. Or car, shaving cream tube, box of chocolates; whatever the product might be.

I forget the word the advertisers use to "explain" apparently pointless promotion of a brand rather than a product. Within many large companies there lurks a manager who actually believes the bull****, and signs off these monstrous wastes of shareholders' money. And of course he or she rather likes the invites to all the corporate entertainment.

The BA ad appealed to me as an aviation fanatic, but it will influence neither my company's ticket buying, nor my personal ticket buying in the slightest. I/we ensure we get value for money, no more, no less, which means buying the cheapest service unless there's a good reason not to. This can happen with BA, when we need to go to somewhere that BA goes to, and when it does we buy BA.

If the ad persuaded me that BA really is value for money even when it is more expensive, we might look harder at the BA option. But the advertisers - and their client, BA - clearly did not think that this is important, which tells us all we need to know.