PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2011, 13:58
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level and heading changes for weather are not usually a problem
Agreed but level changes will usually be in 2K increments which might not be where you want to be and are not always given without due cause.
A 2K climb can put you straight into icing.
Heading changes are usually given for weather ie "request left or right 15 degrees for weather"! But often you are given radar headings to hold.
All I am making clear hear is a miconception that you can climb to 10K and merrily sit on top in the blue sunshine till you drop down the other end.
Of course that can be the case but you have to look at the worst scenario especially with New pilots or rated pilots.

It is different with experienced pilots in capable aircraft. Many IMCR pilots do fly all weather around the UK on home made cloud breaks to very low heights and have been doing so for years and I am sure they would be constructive enough leaving an intersection on a long IFR flight to get themselves VMC to land. Is that as safe as getting radar vectors onto an ILS? NO
I note the smiley, but my experience is that weather is almost always less bad than forecast.
Tim you obviously dont fly when I do

Pace