PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI bought by Virgin
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2011, 10:56
SealinkBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't see the logic of VS taking on BMI.

EDIT: Although LH buying VS. Wow! That would be clever!!!

If feeder flights were so strong and so essential, we'd still have BA flying from BFS, DUB and INV to LHR for a start. Maybe I am simplifying things too much, but VS has survived without a domestic network until now!

British Midland used to be a very strong brand. Those dark blue coloured 'planes, Diamond Service, popular with travel agents etc. And then they became bmi.

I worked in the travel industry back then and there were all sorts of rumours going around that British Midland was going to rebrand as 'bluebird' or something similar. What we got was bmi, with the 'i' standing for "anything you want it to'. (Their words). I think that started a malaise. They got confused. bmibaby, bmi regional and bmi mainline: all with differing levels of service. Not one brand is strong. (In fact I see bmibaby as untrustworthy following the revelations about their creative way of charging for bags. )

bmi forgot that if you are not the flag carrier, you need a punchy, evocative name to rise above the marketing antics of EZY, FR etc. bmi is not that name.

And now a once brilliant airline is on its knees.

I flew with them from BHD last week, the crew were lovely, the 'plane spotless. and very smart. I feel sorry for their staff who cannot be immune to the turmoil surrounding the airline, and to which I am unwittingly adding to with posts like this.