PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin testing of large aircraft
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2011, 03:05
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Trim Stab,

I'm presuming that you have familiarized yourself with the prevailing design requirements for the aircraft in question - (by certification basis, in civil aircraft terms). I claim no knowledge of military requirements, so will not offer an opinion in that respect.

Expecting that you have read from the civil perspective, what must demonstrate spin compliance, and what need not, you probably won't be surprised to be reminded that manuafacturers and modifiers are not eager to demonstrate capability much beyond the requirement (in regard of spins anyway), unless doing so is a contractual requirement beyond the civil requirements (military? I have no idea).

For me to re-present the civil certification requirements here is probably redundant. In brief, I don't think that there is a requirement to demonstrate spins for "part 25" aircraft, but there is for single engine "part 23" aircraft. There are not a lot of "large" single engine part 23 aircraft. Most are twins, which are not required to demonstrate spins.

As such, the largest common civil aircraft I am aware must demonstrate spins, are the Cessna Grand Caravan, and probably the PC-12. I know little about the PC-12, but I have done these tests in the Grand Caravan. It is a beautiful spinning aircraft, though takes you to the limits in getting it out.