PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2011, 09:01
JobsaGoodun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bmibaby is probably the strongest loco brand across a huge swath of central England, it is the brand that has value.
I just don't see this myself. Whilst the brand may be recognised by some, most will cite many other airlines before they come up with BMIBaby. Brand awareness is built by have a structured and defendable location or base and building on that. LS have this in LBA, U2 have this in LTN, LGW, BA has this in spades at LHR and BE have this in a number of bases, such as BHX, SOU, BHD, MAN.

I'm not saying that WW has never had this, just that they have a history of launching in key locations only to retreat a few years later. They did this at MAN, they did this at CWL, they did this against BE at BHX and now they've done the same at BHD. It could be suggested that they are unable to build a financially viable route structure without airport incentives and this is the reason for their continual moves.....who knows?

If the brand were as strong as you believe then they never would have left the locations they did, and regrettably I don't see BHD being any different....unfortunately for Baby wherever they now go, they will find someone else who has a stonger brand than they do who will be better able to compete against them. Why they ever left MME is beyond me - they had that all to themselves and thier only competitor was Eastern.

With the exception of the hard working staff and crews throughout BMI, and the key slots for mainline at LHR...I fail to see any other attractions in either Baby or Regional.

Last edited by JobsaGoodun; 24th Sep 2011 at 09:19.