PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson 737 lands on taxiway at Paphos?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2011, 03:51
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't get the technical issues related to linking a google maps sat view properly so I'll just suggest taking a look yourselves. Search Las Vegas Airport (KLAS) and zoom in on the taxiways adjacent to the Rwys 19L&R thresholds to see one pretty handy solution to the taxiway/runway identification issue. Note the squiggly lines painted over the taxiway centerlines at the north end. Using these for taxi guidance is NOT recommended!

Yes, mistakes happen. In the case of landing other than where intended, there are a great many reasons why this might happen. Those reasons should be addressed wherever possible. The most effective way to trap errors is to be looking for them. Whether in the air or or on the ground, a pilot needs to be on constant watch for anything that doesn't look right. This is more true than ever when tired or distracted. Everyone makes mistakes. The sooner you catch them, the better chance there is that they can be corrected before they snowball.

The way I see it, anything that can reasonably be done to aid pilots in properly identifying the landing surface should be done. But when I'm an assigned pilot crewmember I fully realize that the responsibility is mine if a mistake is allowed to turn into an incident or worse. I look for that approach to personal responsibility in any pilot I fly with too. That's the only acceptable attitude as far as I'm concerned. I'm not perfect either. Yet I fully expect to be judged by the same standard.

Last edited by westhawk; 24th Sep 2011 at 14:33. Reason: Oops! Omitted location. (imperfect me...)