PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Services Australia Radar Sites
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2011, 01:22
CaptainMidnight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking to buy some land adjacent to Mt Somerville (near Coolangatta Airport). I'm looking for some information on possible dangers/shortcomings associated with such a site. Any leads would be most appreciated..Woof !
There are radiations standards (ARPANSA?) that dictate the safe distance vs radar frequency & power that ASA comply with. I understand their radars are aimed a few degees above the horizon (5 degrees I think) because they are intended to detect air rather than surface targets. You might call ASA and ask to talk to an engineer in their Comms and Surveillance branch in Canberra.

Having once lived close to an airport (ADL) the only trouble we had was a buzz every few seconds getting into everything eg. hifi, telephone, AM & FM radio, intercom etc.

This is an interesting pix. It is a fire observation tower adjacent to the SSR facility on Mt Macedon. The top of the fire tower is actually some 30FT or so below the platform on which the golf ball sits. And presumably everything meets the safe distance standards ....

http://www.firelookoutsdownunder.com...cedon0608i.jpg