PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The VC 10
Thread: The VC 10
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 20:13
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Scott
BCAL's Standards including G-ARTA, the ex-prototype also had what was referred to as a "super" wing, enabling FL430, as I said in a previous post. Unlike the real Supers, there was a characteristic "droop-snoot" L/E near the tips. Did yours have that? We also had freight doors, except perhaps on G-ARTA.

The Ten at Brooklands is oor ex-G-ASIX, I believe.
Correct, ex-G-ASIX is at Brooklands. It still has the downturned 'Kuchemann' wingtips. I'm sure I have a photo of that wingtip somewhere but unfortunately I haven't found it yet.

There were two major changes to the wing after the initial run of BOAC Standards: the wing chord was increased by 4% and the 'Kuchemann' wingtips were available as an option. I think the RAF and BOAC Supers never had these wingtips. Also (although I stand to be corrected) G-ARTA may not have been refitted with the wing chord extension, just the wing tips! The wing chord extension is visible as a step in the leading edge at aproximately 60% of the span, near the small outboard fence. It can be seen on this drawing:
http://www.vc10.net/images/wing_srm.jpg