PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 19:06
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Tourist, you speak out angrily on behalf of those who face danger in the sky on behalf of us all, and well you might for they have been let down to a scandalous extent! The problem is, it seems to me, that you are angry with the wrong people.
Unlike you I was not let down, well nowhere near to your degree at least, for the RAF Flight Safety System (I can only speak of the RAF) was a fully functional system operating at every level, from back office to flight line. The former was of no interest to me, I was scarcely aware of it, nor of the people who laboured there on my behalf. I suppose if I had tried to imagine them it would be as "boffins" wearing the ubiquitous tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, ie BOF's! I now realise how important those BOF's were in keeping me, my crew, and my pax alive, and in keeping my aircraft flying and capable of carrying out its military tasks.
By the 1980's I was long gone and now protected by similarly self effacing and dedicated people in the CAA though, being an ingrate, resenting the fees that I and my employers had to keep pumping into their coffers. However, those I left behind in Military Aviation were about to be betrayed by their own High Command, for it was there that the orders originated that initiated the inexorable yet hidden unpicking of the engineering expertise that ensured airworthy military aircraft that would do what they were meant to do, rather than doing what they should not. That is where your anger should be directed, that is why Haddon-Cave called for an MAA to be created, because (to borrow a naval phrase) "there was something wrong with our bloody aircraft". There still is, and there still will be until the MAA can change things. The catch is, for me at least, that they can't do that until they change themselves into becoming a truly independent regulator. Easy to say, I know, but very difficult to do, yet do it they must or our military aircraft will become ever more infected by this invisible and seemingly imaginary bug that is unairworthiness. It's real, it kills, and it seriously depletes our military capability.
Yes, get angry, but get angry with those who really did bring us to this parlous state!