PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 15:53
canberra97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jakarata

Jakarta was served by BA from LHR but was dropped in the mid 90s.

Manila was served by BA from LHR but was also dropped in the mid 90s.

Jakarta was served by Garuda Indonesian from LGW but was dropped in 2003.

Manila was served by Philipine Airlines origionally from LGW but was moved to LHR in 1995, this was also dropped in 1998.

These routes may have been losing money at the time but it is a completely differrent situation now as these two routes are proving popular with the likes of AF, EK, KL, LH, etc and are considered as merging markets so how can you relate to them being loss making routes today!

Times change!

I would not be surprised if we hear from Garuda in the next 6 months regarding a return to the Jakarta to London route once they recieve all of there new Boeing 777Ws thus releasing some of their A333s for a return to a UK service most probably flying into LGW.

Also Philipine Airlines have stated they would like to return to Europe once they have spare capacity with the arrival on their own Boeing 777ws. I also envisage them going into LGW.

It will be BA that will be losing out and of course LHR and a return to Seoul would be very difficult seeing there is already two well established carriers on the LHR to Seoul route with the likes of Korean Air and Asiana.

With Malaysian joining OneWorld and already serving LHR twice daily from Kuala Lumper I do not see any quick return for BA to KL.

BA should have been quicker of the mark and announced services two some of these destinations long ago and made more use of LGW which in my view especially with the North Terminal is an excellent airport for BA to expand from even though I live closer to LHR I do have a soft spot for LGW.