PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson 737 lands on taxiway at Paphos?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 15:13
Shiny side down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another interesting event, that yes, should serve as a learning tool for the future benefit of us all. No doubt, as much as might be gained from this, the negative effects for those guys is going to be fairly bad.

I have to admit, my first reactions to news of this event were along the lines of-
oops, Bugger, silly sods, lucky escape, how on earth?

Having read much of the previous dialogue on this, it demonstrates why it is always worthwhile formulating questions and thinking through the situation, rather than commenting so quickly.

Most of the better comment is related to RWY29, and the absence of markings, perspective, identifying, and the 'how on earth did they miss' not having these.
Having never landed or lined up on, the taxiway, (there but for the grace of god?) I am curious what the perspective is as you reach the point at about 2miles from the 'threshold' of the parallel taxiway, at that time of day.

My last trip into PFO was a little over a week ago. A bright, clear, sunny day, that instantly turned murky and indistinct, once established on the localiser for the ILS29. 4pm ish, local time, sun in faces.
The taxiway always seems quite prominent.

I'm a coward. I like the procedure from over the top of the VOR!