PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trouble in HK atc
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 11:42
Some How I'm Tired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diverting to Alternate

Not true about having to be accepted to your alternate. The frequency of aircraft that actually divert to an alternate is so low that they do not consider it.

Years ago I went to an Italian airfield that ended up being closed due to fog (and only cat 1 available). When we tried to divert to our alternate, they said 'cannot, they are full'. When we asked about all the other airfields in the area, we got the same response. So we ended up going over an hour away and landing on min fuel.

Long and the short of it is: If the weather is average, plan on not being able to go to your nearest alternate. OR be prepared to declare an emergency (they MUST take you then). Like the port pages say, If the wx is average at HKG OR MFM, carry another alternate. THIS INCLUDES AREA WEATHER!!

I ALWAYS carry fuel to allow AT LEAST 2 close alternates under these conditions. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I've never had to suck the sheepskin covers up my ar$e!!!! Andi it costs almost no extra fuel for that peace of mind!