PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin operations up north
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2002, 02:10
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marpoo, perhaps the best advice that can be given is that what you are proposing is starting a BUSINESS career in the flying industry, rather than starting a PILOT career.

If that is what rings your bell, then nobody should stop you.

However, as someone who grew up as part of a family business and started a couple of businesses of my own (all with varying degrees of success ) the thing that strikes me about charter aviation as a business is that it is probably the most highly goverment regulated small business there is -- AoC requirements, CofR, CofM and everything.

The equipment is expensive and complicated, requires intensive maintenance, there is high exposure to risk and damage, the employees require specific training and high supervision requirements (yet they are all looking to move out of your business within months or one or two years), etc. Most importantly, the margins are thin, and you are a service industry to other fickle industries such as agriculture, mining, tourism, and government services in which a bad season or a change in policy sees you badly affected.

My 2c worth.

Good luck!