PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson 737 lands on taxiway at Paphos?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 08:13
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rather than apportioning blame we should be seeking to avoid this type of event ever happening again. The Paphos brief for the company I fly for indicates that the taxiway is sometimes used as a "runway" which emphasises the point that some sort of better signage might prevent this type of incident.
I agree that there is nearly always a systemic factor to these kinds of mistakes. Knowing and therefore mitigating such factors prior to the operation can reduce the chance of the error being precipitated. Even so, such errors are nearly always trapped before any kind of incident occurs.

If flight crew have been diligently filing reports on how such confusion can arise at PFO, then this crew may have an easier time of it. If PFO isn't that much of a problem, or as is often the case, crew are reluctant to report the potential hazard then the problem will be harder to work with and crew may not be as prepared as perhaps they should be.

I for one, have misidentified a taxiway as a runway, the Captain didn't and as usual, CRM trapped the error so this wasn't an issue because we were still a couple of miles out. But what if he had the same perception? As a result I can understand how easy it is to make the mistake and am much more cognisant of such errors than previously. Report duly submitted too.

Also, I do honestly find it hard to understand how a landing could be completed without a centre line or touchdown zone. But I have also had glimpses of how the brain simply erases such concerns when everything else appears completely normal.

One thing is for sure, assuming these guys have a good history and assuming this incident is handled correctly, this crew will be a much more capable, experienced and safe crew.

Last edited by Sciolistes; 23rd Sep 2011 at 08:28.