PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 2
Thread: SOUTHEND - 2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 19:18
JobsaGoodun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an interesting thread but Flybe not expanding at Southend is hardly the end of the world for them. The market at LGW is developed and strong. BMI couldn't successfully compete on JERLHR and neither could EZY from their stronghold at LTN. I really don't think EZY coming on Southend will be particularly worrying. Whilst I am sure that both LHR and LTN services took some passengers from LGW during the times that they operated, in the end both were discontinued. I'm not saying that this will happen again but those that believe that Flybe are weak, commercially and financially are very wide of the mark in my opinion.

Flybe are the largest domestic carrier in the UK, through their joint venture in Finland they will also be the largest domestic carrier in this country to. They have developed strong commercial relationships with major European carriers, BA, AF and Finnair, long standing legacy carriers who recognise the strength of Flybe as a business partner.

SWBKCB is correct, the Flybe service is effectively a part-charter service on behalf of a tour operator who didn't need all of the seats and left the remainder for Flybe to sell direct. If the requirement is still there next year then I'm sure Flybe will operate again, but this decision will not necessarily be one that Flybe take, it will be down to the tour operators as to whether they require it. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that tour operators will suddenly be putting passengers Easyjet's way. Flybe will certainly be able to operate cost effectively against Easyjet with the Q400 - look at LPLIOM where many predicted that Flybe would run off into the distance.... the reality is quite different and the market has grown to support both carriers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that Easyjet will have some success from Southend but I don't think you'll find it affecting any LGW services, and I don't imagine Flybe are concerned much in the slightest. They had their opportunity to build services at Southend and clearly made the decision that the demand wasn't there for them and their business model. EZY may be different but it remains to be seen.

Last edited by JobsaGoodun; 22nd Sep 2011 at 19:49.