PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rent, share or own?!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 19:13
Storkeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rent, share or own?!

Hi,

Firstly, I'm sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't find it after a couple days of searching.

I am a fairly low hours ppl looking to fly a lot more and spend a bit less (aren't we all!). I am wondering if it might be worth buying a plane or a share in a plane instead of renting one. As it stands I rent from an excellent club and pay about £120 per hour wet for a PA28-161 Warrior.

Buying or sharing: To keep the answers fairly simple, lets imagine that I were to buy a Warrior. When would the aircraft be due a service? When I look through the classifieds there is much mention about TT, airframe hrs and prop hrs etc. The question is what does TT stand for? And at what hours does work need to be done? Engine hours: how many hours before a new engine? or overhall? What are the average costs of the annual?

What are the key milestones for GA aircraft? Does it change for complex singles instead of simple types?

I suppose what I am trying to do is create a kind of business plan, but it's hard for a newbe to get a grip of the costs in advance and thus understand the cost undertaking fully.

I appreciate, like many things in GA, this may not be a simple question but any guidance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks to anyone who undertakes this question!!!