PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny Things Happen in The Air Force
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 18:43
Old Bricks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
During the mid-80s I was Sqn Ldr Ops on a unit called BRIXMIS, which most people never heard of. It comprised a mixture of Army and RAF who lived in Berlin but operated in East Germany as official liaison officers to the Soviet forces based there under an agreement signed in 1946. Over the years, liaison morphed into "observation", which tended to upset both the Sovs and the East Germans. However, life went on, and the tourers, as the liaison officers were known, learned to live with the resulting problems.
The BRIXMIS Chief was an army brigadier, with a gp capt as his deputy. Whilst out on a tour in the southern part of East Germany, a tour, comprising the gp capt, an RAF MACR and a cpl driver, made the mistake of clashing with a group of Sov SF troops, who set off in pursuit of the tour's Gelandewagen. After some miles, the SF managed to overtake, block the road and then one fired a shot over the top of the Gelandewagen to force a stop. Much nause, local Sov Komendant called to sort out, and eventually the tour were released to go back to Berlin.
During the debrief, from which I had to compile a report for HQ BAOR/RAFG, the gp capt fulminated about the terrible behaviour of the Sovs etc. MACR Mal G.... stood silently, puffing away at a fag until there was a break in the conversation. "Any points to add?" said I.
"Criminal, sir, absolutely effing criminal" says the MACR. "Quite right" says the gp capt, "Couldn't put it better myself".
"No, sir. What was criminal was that that Sov had a gp capt in his sights and missed!"