PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-700 landing techniques
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 14:14
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
but the moment i start flaring i tend do drift away from the centerline.Any help is appreciated.Thank you
Go back into the simulator and get the instructor to position you at 200 feet on short final and practice the flare and touch-down until you have the problem hacked. Now position same way but this time with 35 knot cross-wind and practice that until you are quite confident of placing the aircraft exactly where you want it. You will probably require at least ten landings on each sequence before you can consistently fix the problem.

I have frequently flown with pilots (experienced and not experienced) who for some reason cannot "see" a crosswind. Again the fix is in the simulator. In this case, the instructor should freeze the simulator at the very moment of touch down on the main wheels. Then note the magnetic compass heading compared to the runway magnetic heading and see how much drift you touched down with. Repeat exercise until you can consistently touch down without drift - that is compass heading same as runway magnetic heading and on centre-line.

If your company refuse to give you extra simulator time then buy yourself an hour in a full flight simulator and tell the instructor what I have written here. It is your money so you direct the show how you want it.