PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny Things Happen in The Air Force
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 13:29
Marham69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No intention of passing judgement on the Good Lady deceased but we must have encountered her or her Staff on an 'Off' day....

In the days of annual 'Royal Visits' to RAF Stations, the West Norfolk Citadel had the honour. Sqn Ldr AS (later Station Master) was el honcho of the overall organising committee. Always had a great rapport with that fine Scottish gentleman (replaced him as Nav Plotter Crew 10 No 55 Sqn - Jock Carroll's lads - and was delighted to entertain Al and the ever gracious Sally to Dinner in late 1990s Harbourside Sydney) so, for my sins, was roped in as deputy organiser or whatever. Down to St James Palace we went.

Well, I never. Cigarette packets had to be positioned at all points of the compass. And only a particular American brand would do. I distinctly remember the Lady lighting up before the 'starters' had been served at the Mess Luncheon.
Lots of similar stuff. But the outstanding request from the Palace was that a particular loo had to be installed in the OM - into which no wummin had performed a christening ceremony. A brand new effort. I am sorry to say that the usual aircrew miscreants, having checked that the area was wummin free, tested the the holding veracity of the said device prior to the official visit.

There was a lot of under table activity at that lunch - not quite as outstanding as the Bomber Command disbandment lunch... but getting close.

Happy Days. I fear our modern compadres (all Hail to them) will never experience such in these days of uber PC stuff and nonsense.