PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forward or side slip
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 12:01
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tks for the replies, gents! Learned a lot from here.
So it is more a linguistic matter.

IGh.
Nope, not a reincarnation, I never even heard of the story! (You never remember something from Yr previous life isn't it! )
Darn, come to speak of it, crosswind landings have always been my favourite, whether in a Cessna or B744... There is no more fun as to teach it to students. I developed a special session for it, using our canal system or a long highway for ground reference to prepare for the actual stuff.

During my period as engineering pilot (B747-2/300 acceptance flights after heavy maintenance) we needed to do a check on "spoiler lay down" which involved a slipping manoeuvre. Always loved that manoeuvre in which You needed to increase very slowly aileron input, without ever releasing it just the tiniest bit as that made the test invalid.
The resulting roll was held by increasing opposite rudder input.
Ahhh, lovely days back then, 17000' over the North Sea, F/D and ATS Off (in case it had one), take a spot on the horizon, mark I eyeball only plus altimeter.... Just a big Piper Cub then.

Looking back I also need to be more consequent in what I call the direction of the (..) slip.
The low wing indicates the direction. Or do some people call it according to the direction the rudder is put in?