PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How close was I to dying? (serious question)
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 11:04
Gentle Climb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, I don't fly the Airbus, but in general...
1. Failures occur sometimes. Dual failures of the same system occur less frequently.
2. I don't think that you were even remotely close to dying. The situation was dealt with by the crew no doubt in accordance with SOP's.
3. I can't think that the sick passenger made too much difference. The problem could have evolved at any time during the flight and diversions would be available.
4. There are any number of reasons for the circling. Maybe getting all of the checks done accordingly, maybe wating to burn off some fuel, waiting for the airfield to be ready. The crew were just doing the right thing. The biggest clue to the lack of emergency would seem to be the ordered manner in which the situation was dealt with. A significant problem would have had your aircraft inbound to land very quickly. I wouldnt worry about it. You were merely inconvenienced.

As for the subsequent post...I would think that the passengers would be relieved that the flight crew knew exactly what the issue was and how it was going to be dealt with. A general 'technical problem' statement from the flight crew may lead passengers to think the worst. Disagree with most of your comment I'm afraid.