PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2011, 07:57
Not_a_boffin

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts
Jimlad

Along the way I spent quite a lot of time seeing at first hand the damage that CVF was doing to my parent service, and the way the service I love is being destroyed to pay for something that will never do what its sold as being capable of doing.

I'm happy to admit to changing my mind because I saw the hard evidence that showed that damage CVF is inflicting on the wider UK defence community.

Let's be clear about this. CVF/QEC is not inflicting damage on the RN or wider UK defence community. What is inflicting damage on the community (RN and wider) is the legacy of the sh1tfight throughout the noughties regarding the size of the beast compared to CVS. This in turn led to a perception (not supported by any studies btw) that the RN were overegging the requirement, which in turn led to the interminable delays in ordering the ships and the subsequent cost escalation. The vast majority of this is simple programme slip and contract change.

At least as culpable in terms of demands on a declining budget are the following :
Astute (£7Bn+ for four boats I think) - huge cost escalation due to loss of submarine design and build skills post V-class, leading to slippage and embarrassment
Typhoon (£13Bn or more depending on what you read) - huge cost escalation due initially to slippage caused by our Boxhead friends, but then subsequent cost profiling
FRES (£2Bn plus) - SFA delivered thus far (stand to be corrected) and whatever arrives will not be as the requirement. Remember that was driven by C130/A400M airlifting a mech(FRES) battlegroup into theatre!
DIIF of various flavours!!!
ASTOR (no idea of the cost) - personally think it should be retained
FRC (probably over £1bn spent on studies to deliver.....?)
A400M??

The only projects I can think of that have come close to being a success in terms of cost vs contracted performance are the River class (not including Clyde!) and C17.

One last thing. CVF/QEC as built can do what it is badged as doing, given the will to do so. The problem in capability world can be that this years plan becomes the "limit". Plans can be changed, absence of the enabling elements (the platform) cannot.