PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging instrument and night at the same time?
Old 21st Sep 2011, 22:54
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one question. under the condition you mentioned above..under IFR plan and flying an airway and flying to a waypoint and reporting at a mandatory waypoint...on a clear day...are you not flying under the reference of your instrument to fly to those way points?
No, I would suggest you are not. If the EADI failed could I keep the aircraft straight and level by looking out the window? Yes, I could; which means I didn't need to fly SOLELY by reference to instruments in the first place, therefore not instrument flying. IFR does NOT = IMC.

again 2 different entries..
-instrument
-actual
This is the second time you have said this but it still makes no sense. In all of my logbooks there are columns for P1/Copilot etc day and night. Likewise, there are columns labelled Sim Inst and Act Inst. Having entered the relevant number of hours in the day/night columns I then enter 30 mins or whatever into the Act Inst column (or Sim Inst column) and that is the end of the story. The 30 mins is the time that I spent in IMC and, therefore, flew by sole reference to instruments. You keep saying there is a difference between instrument flying and actual/simulated instrument flying but I don't have a clue what you are talking about. IFR does not necessarily = instrument flying.

Edited to add:

FAR Part 61.51 has this to say:

(g) Logging instrument flight time. (1) A person may log instrument time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions

Last edited by Fratemate; 22nd Sep 2011 at 00:02.