PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Better understanding blood test
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2011, 19:06
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know, there are no specific tests related to alcohol, such as blood alcohol tests or Liver Function tests.

In theory, lifestyle choices (alcohol) could have a knock on effect on Hb and sometimes can affect lipid levels (Triglycerides especially) but the relationship is somewhat remote. (In other words, the levels can be abnormal in a non drinker, and normal in an excessive drinker.)

The HDL/LDL/Total question raises even more woolly issues. If you want to know more, have a look at NICE guidance, or take a look at the British Heart Foundation website. It's usual to find parameters outside the range of "normal" but unusual to find them wildly so. I've never heard of any pilot on this forum, (and I've been following these pages for many years), disqualified on lipid levels alone- although a predictor of risk of arteriopathy, it's difficult to relate individual levels to absolute risk. I guess at worse, you're going to come out with some lifestyle advice, (less chips, more apples), or stuck on some tablet for the rest of your life.

You seem to have raised a "self awareness" question regarding alcohol, perhaps this is the forum to explore your concerns further