PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantaslink to get more jets
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2002, 16:05
toojaded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also new member

reading prune for a long time now. thought i might jump in and stir the pot a bit. absolutely a personal perspective.

also heard rumours of 4 new 717's.

thoughts of probable short term future (discounting another entrant) go like this.

146's will be phased out as leases expire. too old and unreliable though have done a sterling job and undoubtably contributed to QF's dispatch of an.

probable closure of 146 east coast bases as lease's expire (RK today, MK jan, BN end 2003 ? CB see earlier post this topic)

introduction of new regional jets will see end of 717's in OZ (not definite but view it from an accountant's perspective)

lowest bidder for regional QF operation will see even lower terms and conditions for the jungle jet drivers (what will your family's lifestyle be on 90k?)

njs or impulse will match terms to stay in the job and impulse keeps east coast, njs to west and top end.

suits qf to keep 2 companies running against each other to drive costs to absolute minimums. great for the shareholders. unfortunately the accountants seem to have forgotten about the safety aspect of flight operations.

Ansett kept us all honest and in a job. Now with traditional early decade downturn the boot is on managements collective feet and NO ONE is invulnerable.

PREDICTION-once regional bottom line is determined mainline drivers are next to be targeted.

SOLUTION-as professionals we will remain easy game until we achieve viable and united representation.

Don't count on those big stubbies yet Douglas, 146 is still cost effective for the accountants and still enjoys excellent public appeal. 4 still outguns 2 in my experience.

As for the future of the 146 crew's, I can't see an offer of integration into any existing QF structure (case in point the execution of Southerns), but I can see an addition to the expanding pool of excellent highly qualified and experienced drivers for any third airline start up.

Impulse may have the ear of the big bosses in QF at the moment but airlink chief executives are only as good as the last profit/loss result.

Last edited by toojaded; 26th Oct 2002 at 16:38.