PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2011, 17:14
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Cough
Yer what? The UK is within 1000nm of the alps, so the lowest usable level is about FL170...

Please tell me they meant not below 1000ft above the highest point within 1000m?
My typing error, actually it's 1000ft above the highest point within 5nm.

421c is there actually evidence that (a) most PPLs can/do fly VFR on top, and (b) they don't have accidents whilst doing so. Apart from anything else, my experience as a researcher is that outside of the UK, US, Germany and Australia, most countries safety statistics are so poorly compiled that you can prove just about anything, or nothing. And again, I'm aware that ICAO standard permits VFR on top, but how many countries actually permit that?

Regading class A - my reference was actually to the PPL/CPL(VFR)/IMCR not permitting flight in class A. An embuggerance on occasion and if the EIR gets rid of that, it will have benefits along the way. Part of that is the ability to fly along airways, but also just to ask permission to cross them or free-fly where there is class A airspace. But equally, some people will want to file IFR along airways, and no reason they shouldn't really.

G