PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - india DGCA ATPL exam
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2011, 10:00
CaptGalaxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doubt_Principles of flight

Hi Folks, i was going through the Oxford ATPL, Principles of flight and found a few statements which, i cant seem to understand. I feel they contradict each other so please advice if i'm reading it wrong.

1. Chapter- Drag > Parasite drag> skin friction
"Because of the adverse pressure gradient existing on a curved surface, the transition point will be further forward than if the surface was flat"

2. Chapter- High Lift Devices> Leading Edge Flaps
"On high speed aerofoil sections the leading edge may have very little camber and have a small radius. This can give flow separation just aft the leading edge at quite low angles of attack"

Now which of the above is right and is there something i'm missing in the above concepts?

Also - i dont seem to see the definition for Form drag : "Because of separation there will be a lower pressure at the trailing edge than the leading edge. An aerodynamic force will act in the direction of the lower pressure - form drag"
How would this be a drag if there is airflow from the leading to the trailing edge? wouldnt this infact contribute to the thrust for the aerofoil?
I understand the concept of adverse pressure gradient but the above reason has been quoted as a separate factor.

thanks in advance.

cheers,
P

Last edited by CaptGalaxy; 21st Sep 2011 at 10:06. Reason: typo