PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety is our Priority
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2011, 05:31
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"SAFETY" is nothing more than an advertising and sales pitch nowadays.

If true safety was an airline's motivation (while of course providing a profitable service to the public in a responsible manner) then airfares would not be as artificially low as they are. While there are many who will disagree, so what if we suffer reduced capacity and therefore a reduction in airline jobs? It would see an end to pay-to-fly cadet jobs whereby experienced pilots are overlooked in the stead of zero hour candidates who can be utilized for severely less remuneration (refer the once great Cathay Pacific & it's deliberate nose dive, as well as what I have read recently about The Jetstar consortium......). Experienced pilots would be employed and be paid accordingly, as well as a trend (SHOULD! MUST!) back to "training" and not only checking. Therefore seat prices would go up thus reflecting the REAL cost a "safe" airline. (Same analogy for FA's, maintenance and ground staff, etc).

Perhaps not a popular concept for the greed factor of today's cut & slash management ideologies or the GenY zero hour airline hopeful but the results are in fact "SAFETY" as a priority.

And before others respond.... Yes, I'm perhaps old fashioned and a lesser desire to accept the immoral profit chase-at-any-cost of today's business world but at the end of the day mine and my own do not have to rely on luck more and more when travelling by air. Will it happen? Of course not. Words like profit and self interest over-rule others words like integrity and accountability in today's (airline) world.