PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 dead in Vic NW of Melb at Wallup
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2011, 00:40
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Published last light was 6:23pm. Accident was at 6:20pm. The pilot was NVMC rated and the flight was replanned at Bendigo to land at Nhill shortly after last light. This was not a NVFR accident.

It was probably a VFR no non VMC accident.

My question is; given that the pilot stopped at Bendigo, made phonecalls and sought updated weather - for a flight of less than an hour over flat terrain - has our system delivered the level of flight service that it should? I don't think that this is a question that will get a look-in on the ATSB report, but I think its a question worth asking.

And for Jabawocky, having come freshly from being Clerk of Course at a race meeting this weekend. Racing provides track inspections and reports, safety cars, flag marshalls and other support. We intervened 3 times to clean oil or other debris from the track and sent an ambulance out once as a precaution. I also spoke to 2 drivers to counsel them on poor judgements they made. There are many people whose job it is to advise drivers of changed conditions and generally watch over them.