PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging instrument and night at the same time?
Old 21st Sep 2011, 00:28
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jester,

So, according to your interpretation of the rules, all time spent whilst flying IFR counts as instrument time and this is in the DGCA regulations? Small wonder people get the wrong impression of licencing and qualification in India.

yes you can log instrument time in an airline above the clouds eating your crew lunch..visibility unlimited so long that part of the flight is under instrument flight rules... but i never said you can log actual..
How would you log this then? It either goes in the logbook under the 'actual' column or the 'simulated' column. Flying above cloud on a gin-clear day is neither actual nor simulated (assuming you're not under the hood). Your argument is nonsensical; sitting there with the autopilot engaged, sipping a cup of tea and watching the World go by beneath you is not flying by 'sole reference to instruments'. As I know you're aware, you can (and in many cases, must) fly IFR on a beautiful, clear day. You can, on this day, be hand flying, quite merrily looking out of the window and enjoying the view and, in your mind, you can claim this as instrument time

Now, I admittedly do not hold a DGCA licence so do not have access to their rules and regulations. I do however, hold UK CAA, CASA, FAA & JCAB ATPLs and have had a look through two of these (CAA & CASA). The CAA says:

"The column headed 'Instrument Flying' is provided in order that flight time during which the holder manipulated controls solely by reference to instruments, either under actual or properly simulated instrument flight conditions may be recorded'. Note 'instrument flight CONDITIONS' NOT instrument flight RULES.

CASA (Oz) are much more specific:

"A flight conducted on an Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) flight plan is not to be counted as instrument flying unless flying in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC)"

How much clearer could that be?

As I said, I do not hold an Indian licence but I would be willing to bet a few Rupees that the DGCA do not vary from the CAA, CASA, FAA & JCAB in their interpretation of this 'rule'.

So, back to the original question:

I am doing my recency and my only requirements remaining are 3 hrs night PIC and 2.5 hrs of instrument. Am I allowed to fly this night time under the hood (With instructor of course ) and get both my requirements?
I do not accept your advice regarding IFR but I believe we are agreed that he is allowed to fulfill this requirement and that the total flight time should be entered as 'night' and the instrument flying time (under the hood) should be entered under the 'simulated' column.

Edited to add:

anyway i had this conversation before... just look up the REGS and i can tell you its there.
Unconvinced by your theory I actually looked up the DGCA regulations and, surprise, surprise, they conform with the other regulatory authorities:

DGCA Regs, Part IX - Log Books:

67A: (11) Instrument flight time may be logged by the pilot manipulating the controls of an aircraft in flight only when the aircraft is flown solely by reference to instruments, either under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions. Over-the-top flying shall not be logged as instrument flying
time.
...again, CONDITIONS not RULES.

(12) Instrument ground time may be logged in full by the pilot while flying solely by reference to instruments, in any recognized synthetic device which simulates instrument flight conditions.

Last edited by Fratemate; 21st Sep 2011 at 01:00.