PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather tomorrow morning
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2002, 09:50
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I even less awake than usual, or was that TAF saying "TEMPO 2206", in other words, between 10pm and 6am (UTC)?

No matter; it's too late now. Steve, welcome to the world of flying in the UK, especially for those of us (I was one) who start our training in the windy autumn. I used to say I'd learned more about patience than about flying; it took me a while to realise that learning about patience IS learning about flying. I agree with everyone else; 15kts is probably about your limit, or you'll just waste your money. Other than that, and later on, a wind straight down the runway is OK; a strong crosswind isn't, either for you or the aircraft. And gusts are nasty; I wouldn't like to fly in 27kts gusting to 45, and that's with nearly 500 hours total time. And many schools have a limit for people hiring aricraft, often around 15-20 kts. So that gives you an idea.

But seriously, use the time productively, and for aviation related stuff. If you've nothing better to do, go down to the airfield and ask questions and familiarise yourself with aircraft. Or get some of the exams out of the way; much better to do that now, than when there's good weather and you could be finishing your PPL and flying - but you've got exams to pass.

Above all, don't spend your time fretting about the weather, and how it's always you who picks the wrong days. I KNOW that's advice that's impossible to take! We all do it - but it's worth mentioning anyway. If you do a search on here, you'll find people who've waited months to do first solo or qualifying cross countries - this is aviation. Personally, I was at the point of finishing a flexwing microlight conversion a month ago - all I had to do was go solo (I think a third first solo is a contradiction in terms though ). It got dark just before I could do it, and we've had bad weather ever since. Well, I did say to my instructor that the word "solo" mentioned to me means a month of gales! So I think it's all my fault, sorry. Anyway, I won't say I'm accepting it totally calmly, but ....slightly better than the first and second times around anyway.

All this is not to say I don't sympathise, all of us do. Good luck for the next time, and keep us posted!