PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Morale Rock Bottom
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2002, 07:43
Yarpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't work for easyJet but have seen this issue of 'perceived pressure' raise its ugly head in other airlines. It is insidious and usually stems from board level via the media of 'compliant' senior middle management.

Good examples are, refusing (or delaying) command opportunities, getting rostering to give you a hard line, enquiries about the cause of sick leave and issues of basing . Other tactics are sarcastic remarks in the simulator or the odd little comment from a line manager.

These tactics are quite effective at keeping pilots in line. We are, lets face it, a relatively easy group to control!

The nub of this problem is that it can lead to muddled thinking on safety issues. If you are thinking of going into discretion (or perhaps not putting something in the tech log on the last sector home . . .) then the only issue is safety. No one would support you with the argument that 'I was trying to keep things going for the company'

'no sig' makes mention of the CAA and FTL issues. I have only known the CAA intervene in extremis. They too seem interested more in legalities than sorting out working practices. Being even handed with rival airlines might be an issue when addressing a particular FTL for example.

Of course, a well run airline gets the job done with the use of good practice and management. If only there were more of them.

So what can you do to effect change for the better in these airlines?

Well. leave of course.

Joining BALPA and supporting the CC - providing they too are not trying to feather their nests.

For your own interest never, never break a safety rule or do anything to compromise the validity of your licence.

Last edited by Yarpy; 26th Oct 2002 at 08:01.