PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 20th Sep 2011, 12:08
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, this issue isn't just an armchair exercise or chit-chat on the computer. I care about this issue because I have seen it and it alarms me.
I can second that, but our background seems to be different. I do fly shorthaul with up to 5 sectors a day and therefore quite a few landings. However even there you can see skill erosion taking place with those too lazy to handfly or too fascinated with all the new automatic stuff. But even our longhaul operation is not exclusively longhaul, it is mixed fleet flying and before you can get trained on the big bird you need quite some shorthaul experience (sadly that is airbus only until the 787 arrives).

Our biggest competitor trains his students through an MPL program, same as we do. And every student entering the company will have to fly shorthaul for at least somewhere betwee 4 and 6 years before going on the longhaul fleets. Both companies by the way still encourage manual raw data flight which is nice, but sadly not enough for some.

We would love to create a career program in our company by taking the Dash operation back into our company (currently it is done by a subsidiary with its own pilot corps) and letting everyone start there, both on the right and the left side to gain experience, however that is one of those battles nearly impossible to win since it would increase the cost for Dash pilots considerably.