PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decline in Pilot Salaries Survey
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2011, 11:03
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From informal discussions over the years with both nurses and ramp workers, I believe it's about the same as far as Qantas goes. The independent GHS companies generally pay less and/or have poorer conditions. Nurses have had a few pay increases in recent years due to shortages so that may have changed and they may now be ahead.

Nursing has other advantages, in that it's more flexible than aviation work irt choice of employers, type of work available and hours. Many are also government employees (particularly in emergency and intensive care) with the ensuing job security and superannuation benefits. There are also better options available for promotion and career advancement, which should be expected as it's a profession. Top of the line hospital nurse managers are on well over 100K a year (maybe more these days) but it's competitive at that level, you're chained to a desk and have to deal with government ministers.

Nursing is appallingly underpaid because a lot of people are nurses for the love of it and wouldn't do anything else. Therefore, they get screwed. Same with ambos, firies and coppers.
Sound familiar, Captains?

My dear sister is a nurse and a bloody good one. Back in the good ol' days when Qantas was a desirable employer she and her colleagues were getting mightily screwed by a major hospital. "Go be a hostie", was my advice. "It's the same money, less responsibility and you get to go to all sorts of places". She wouldn't do it. "I'm a nurse" was the explanation. Admirable? Absolutely. Rampantly exploited by unscrupulous employers, including the state governments? Every time.

When it comes to pay and conditions, health workers are a bad example to use because they're just too damned honourable. If they were paid their true worth, the states would be broke within a week.

Last edited by Worrals in the wilds; 20th Sep 2011 at 11:28.