PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying First Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2011, 13:16
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Some thoughts on a low hour pilot with a high value sole-owned aeroplane here.

Economically, 70 hrs per year for that sort of investment just doesn't make sense. If you were flying maybe 300hrs per year, it *might* make sense, but not under 150 hours pa, in my opinion.

Time-wise, owning an aeroplane outright involves quite a lot of management, maintenance oversight and so-on. Joint owning the aeroplane means that other people share that burden - but until the aeroplane starts to see in excess of 300 hours per year, there is seldom any conflict over aircraft availability. Realistically however, an 8th or even 12th share in a good aeroplane will give you everything you want, for a lot less outlay.

Experience-wise, sharing your first aeroplane with other people, gives support and expertise that will help you a great deal as you mature as a pilot and an aeroplane owner.

I know nothing about the sellers or individual aeroplane, but this advert for example shows a high value aeroplane, as a quarter share, for a quarter of the money you propose to spend., and at a quarter share more than enough availability for anything you're likely to want.

Then spend a chunk of the cash left over on flying, and flying training, so that you're current and competent enough not to emulate the idiot in the SR20 - report in my first link above.

G