PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 19th Sep 2011, 11:51
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
find it easier to carry out an ILS approach in IMC, crosswind, one engine out with no FD nor A/THR in the sim than an ILS with zero automation in a slightly turbulent and gusty day with a fully operational airplane in the real airlplane.

Simulators can't simulate atmosphere nor its effects on the airplane that well. In most of the cases all you have to do is establish early on LOC and G/S and then continue down while smoking a cigar. Even in dual hydraulic, with A/THR and FDs it is easier...

In real atmosphere the LOC is not so easy to keep till 'minimum', even with all the good information coming from the PFD, with its expanded scale and the green diamond and all. Even if very light, real turbulence in IMC cheats my body making me feel the inclined other way, treacherously inducing me to steer the airplane away from loc and glide. If my scan rate is slow due to lack of practice then I have to regain the glidepath too often. Specially with A/THR OFF. If my scan rate is good I can handle it, but this requires practice.

And practice, make no mistake, requires authorization. At leas nowdadays.

Landings are always worse in the sim, though, because the feeling is definitely wrong, no matter what they say.

Sims are easy, or maybe I am specially gifted for them...

ammending Annex 6 would change the trend. Airlines would be free of liability and they would stop discouraging hand flying.

I also think that they should increase the minimum sim training, because its not sufficient for all the additional stuff we have to do.